Friday, April 24, 2009

Today I just wanted to share some of the music I listen to frequently. This music is in no particular order, but none of the lyrics contained in the music are immoral, and/or anti-Christian/Catholic. Below, I have a small list of some of the music I listen to. It is good to listen to some of this music, especially in a world where all we want to listen to is hard rock and hip-hop, which, while they are both interesting musical styles, they generally have degenerated into songs containing a lot of adult content.


Era: A musical project by Eric Levi. It contains lyrics from many different languages, but primarily in Eric Levi's own language, which is very similar to Latin, and many of the songs have parts that are from Latin prayers. The musical style can best be described as "New Age" It is absolutely enchanting music, and I have listened to many of their songs literally hundreds of times.


ApologetiX: A Christian (Non-Catholic) group that writes parodies of classic rock songs with Christian words. You can get some samples on YouTube, or even on their own website www.apologetix.com While the band is non-Catholic, one of their members is an ex-Catholic, and none of their music could be considered offensive to Catholics. They have written many amusing and entertaining parodies, and they are worth a listen if you like classic rock music


Gregorian: A group of some members that were previously involved with scholas in cathedrals and have re-done many contemporary and Christian songs in the style of Gregorian chant. While one or two of their songs could be considered slightly "off-color" for younger audiences, it would be fine for anyone 13-14 or older.

The Priests: As the name suggests, this is a group of Catholic priests who discovered they had wonderful voices. They have released one album simply titled "The Priests" This music is perhaps the most beautiful I have ever heard. Their voices can best be described as "Angelic" Several of their songs are in other languages, such as Latin and German, but, even if you do not know either of these languages well, it is still beautiful to listen to. I only know a little Latin and absolutely not German, but it is still very beautiful music to listen to.


Veni Domine: if you like metal or hard rock, but don't want the offensive and explicit lyrics, then Veni Domine is for you. They have written many Christian songs, as well as a few Catholic ones. Their music is in the style of "doom metal" While their musical style certainly doesn't fit my tastes, it isn't offensive or explicit, and would be fine for all ages, though some parents may worry about young (Very young) children becoming scared by the dark and threatening mood that some of their music contains.



Bruce Springsteen: Bruce Springsteen grew up in a very Catholic home, and while I do not know if he is currently a practicing Catholic, he has stated that he does hold true to Catholic morals. All of his songs that I have heard are suitable for Christians and Catholics.


There are many other excellent musical choices out there as well. It just goes to show that you don't have to have explicit and offensive lyrics to have good music. Here are some choices that, as a Catholic, I would not listen to:


Exodus: A extremely Anti-Christian band. Many of their lyrics are not suitable for a Christian of any age. One Christian band member actually left because he was so disgusted with the extremely offensive content that was in Exodus' songs.


Guns N' Roses: This "Not Recommended" rating does not apply to ALL Guns N' Roses songs. Just most of them. Songs like "November Rain" and "Patience" are fine, but there are many songs that could easily be considered offensive and contain adult content with references to drugs, sex and violence.


Green Day: Yet another band that, unfortunately, I cannot recommend a single song to any Christian, Catholic or not. They are again very anti-Christian, and many songs focus heavily on the use of drugs.


Ted Nugent: A die-hard metal artist, Ted Nugent in reality is very against drugs, violence, and crime. However, his music lyrics suggest a completely different story. Also, many contain extremely strong sexual references.


Bob Rivers: A radio DJ from Seattle who writes parody songs on the side. I can only describe his music lyrics as filthy. Many are completely unsuitable for any human to view. Probably the worst artist on this list.






If there are any suggestions for either of this lists, send them to me, and I will post them up. You can contact me via email at: thelordsservant(at)gmail.com or you can IM me on one of my many IM contacts:


AOL Instant Messenger: sprxmod
MSN Messenger: ricer_lover197@hotmail.com
ICQ: 321588956
Skype: TheLordsServant



Since I am going to bed as it is now evening, or night, in the US, let us offer a brief evening prayer:

O my God, at the end of this day I thank you most heartily for all the graces I have received from you. I am sorry that I have not made a better use of them. I am sorry for all the sins I have committed against you. Forgive me, O my God, and graciously protect me this night. Blessed Virgin Mary, my dear heavenly mother, take me under your protection. St. Joseph, my dear guardian angel, and all you saints of God, pray for me. Sweet Jesus, have pity on all poor sinners, and save them from hell. Have mercy on the suffering souls in purgatory. Amen
†In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment