Friday, April 17, 2009

Greetings to all!


I'm about to turn in for the night, so I'll keep today's post short, but sweet.

Last night I was at a meeting for high school age men discerning the call to the priesthood at Kenrick-Glennon Seminary. The group is called the St. John Gabriel Society, and they meet monthly during the academic year. It is always a pleasure to meet the wonderful seminarians there, and to talk with other young men that are close to my age who are discerning the call to the priesthood. Even for men like me, who are pretty sure that the priesthood is where they are called, the discernment process never really ends until ordination, or at least that's how I feel. So, since I'm in the "mood" so to speak, to talk about vocations, I'll make this post to all the high school men that are maybe thinking about the seminary.


First, if you are planning on going to the seminary "at some point" or maybe "when you're older" why wait? You've got nothing to lose by going to the seminary, and if you find out it isn't for you, you can always leave. The seminary doors lock from the outside, not the inside. They aren't going to send you to the seminary and the moment you walk in the door put a Roman collar on you and ordain you the next day. This is part of the reason that the seminary formation process takes 8 years. It's mainly so that the seminarians there can determine if the seminary is where they are called to be. So, in the words of Pope John Paul II "I say to you dear young people DO NOT BE AFRAID!!!" And, in the words of the Holy Father, Benedict XVI "Do not be afraid to make commitments in life!"



God Bless you All,


John

No comments:

Post a Comment