Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Good afternoon (or evening)!


Today as I was out a walk in the beautiful Saint Louis weather, I got to meditating on God's calling in my life. I started to wonder if maybe I am not really deserving of such a high calling as the holy priesthood. Then I realized that God does not call those who are worthy of the priesthood. He makes those He calls worthy of such a calling.


I imagine you all are wondering how on earth this could apply to everyone's lives. But, it does. Perhaps you're discerning your own calling, be it to the priesthood, religious life, married life, or maybe even just a new job. Perhaps we consider ourselves unworthy of living a truly Catholic life. If you're thinking this, guess what. You're right! No one is worthy. But, that doesn't mean God doesn't want you to do whatever it is. If we always got what we were truly worthy of, Heaven would be a very empty place, because nobody would be there. So, my challenge for you all is to try something new this week. Maybe something a little out of your "comfort zone," something you wouldn't normally do.


Last weekend, I went on a retreat at Kenrick-Glennon Seminary in Shrewsbury, Missouri. It was not something I ordinarily would have done, but I felt that I needed to experience it. And, I came back from that weekend feeling more at peace with the world and my vocation than I ever had. I'm convinced the two nights I stayed at the seminary were the two most peaceful nights of my entire life. So, my point is, try something new, and God will probably reward you in amazing ways!



God Bless,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment